In my To Deluxe or Not to Deluxe: Which Version of MoP to Purchase? post, I failed to mention a third edition of the expansion: The Mists of Pandaria Collector’s Edition. But I’m going to rectify that with a good old rundown.
This version of the expansion offers the following (per Amazon):
- Behind-the-Scenes DVD and Blu-Ray: Learn about the creation of Pandaria with this two-disc set featuring over an hour of commentary, insider interviews, and developer roundtables.
- Collector’s Edition Soundtrack CD: Experience 20 orchestral pieces from Mists of Pandaria.
- The Art of Mists of Pandaria Book: Explore this 208-page hardcover tome featuring never-before-seen pieces from the expansion, from early concepts to final 3D renderings.
- Chen Stormstout Mouse Pad: Equip your desk with this special-edition mouse pad featuring the legendary pandaren brewmaster.
Okay, so I really think that this kind of expansion is made for a select group of WoW fans. In fact, I’d venture two kinds of classification here:
- The Creatives. These are the right-brained sort, the ones always listening to music (because you’ll certainly get to hear a good deal of the Mists of Pandaria score in the game, after all). These type enjoy watching the behind-the-scenes of The Dark Crystal (okay, well, we did too) for all its technical brilliance. They have art books on coffee tables. I’m speaking off-the-cuff, but hey, I like creatives; they’re usually well above trolling in the general trade chat.
- The Fanatics. They’ve got every collector’s edition, all the paraphernalia, even the card game and figurines. They’re definitely at Blizzcon, most of them in costume for the contests. They simply love the game, and I’ve got admiration for that. I’m pretty sure this group is what the Collector’s Edition is designed for, and in ten million people, they’ve probably got quite a large faction.
In addition, there’s a nifty Beta Access Bonus Code you get for pre-ordering (which Amazon offers with the Standard Edition, too).
I’d like to see this edition cater more to the in-game collectors as well. True, this already offers a mount and pet, but: anyone who’s played a few years of WoW knows there are a vast number of people working toward mount achievements. It doesn’t cost Blizzard anything to throw in a few digital extras for those players who are such devoted fans, so give them something a little extra over the singular mount and pet that the Deluxe edition already offers.
But that’s neither here nor there for me, since, being neither a Creative or a Fanatic (though I may be getting there), I’ve already settled on the Standard Edition.
Anyway, check it out for yourself. Is the Collector’s Edition for you? Let us know which version you plan to buy!